Lovely Internet 1.23.15
2. If we’re being honest, how much do our lives really look like our Pinterest feed? Basically never, I would say. That’s okay, real life is pretty great.
3. The history and context of the banjo in modern Southern culture. (Plus, more Old Timey music from Bonnie Prince Billy if you’re interested).
4. This is perfection. (Thanks Elise!)
5. We’ve been trying to take as many cues from traditional gardening practices as possible in our school garden, where the sandy soil is basically useless without a lot of tlc.
6. The Leslie and Ron Story is one of the best on television.
7. Happy National Pie Day! (thanks Emily for the pie playlist! I’ve been listening to it all day!)
8. Look at these beautiful biscuit cutters!!
9. When he first started brewing in our Baltimore apartment (which unfortunately lacked the ability to regulate temperature), all of Dan’s beers tasted like bananas. Now that he has more control over his fermentation the quality of his beer has improved immensely (it’s really pretty awesome). But, for a bit there at the beginning, I sometimes had to figure out gently how to tell him I wasn’t a fan.
10. One of my favorite pubic radio personalities interviews one of my favorite internet personalities about one of my favorite activities.
For more tidbits from Elena the person, follow me on twitter (@elenabrent or @biscuitsandsuch), instagram, pinterest or facebook. Subscribe to my bloglovin’ feed to make sure you never miss a post. Follow along with MissElenaeous for thoughts on everything other than Southern food.
Emily23.01.2015 at 18:59
Yay! Glad you like it. Happy Pie Day! Love your round-up, as usual.
Deirdre Reid @ Grabbing the Gusto24.01.2015 at 14:09
Your photo looks like the grounds of Ft. Fisher last weekend when they had the Civil War enactment. Is it? Or am I outing myself as a big history geek for no reason?
Just discovered your blog — love it, especially since I’m making biscuits for the first time (yes!) tomorrow. And love your theme — is it custom or do you mind telling me what it is or who designed it?
Elena Rosemond-Hoerr25.01.2015 at 07:40
Good eye! Yes, my husband and cousin were actually fighting with the 88th NY Irish in last weekend’s reenactment! It was such a great time, and I loved getting to see the battle in our own back yard!
Thank you so much! Let me know how your biscuits turn out!
Deirdre Reid @ Grabbing the Gusto27.01.2015 at 18:50
Well, I didn’t realize until too late that my baking powder was too old, so they didn’t rise as they should, but they tasted great. I’ll be trying again.
Deirdre Reid @ Grabbing the Gusto24.01.2015 at 14:10
Ok, silly me, I just read your FAQ about your theme, so, never mind! :-)